We have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It breaks the overnight fasting period and replenishes our bodies with glucose to boost our energy and alertness. Not only that, but breakfast also plays a huge role in the health and relationships we have with our family members. But, how exactly does that work?
As one of Arizona’s most popular New York-Style delis, Chompie’s offers an array of breakfast favorites. Whether you are looking for that bagel to start your morning, a big breakfast to tide you over until lunch, or a quick cup of coffee, we have a menu full of your favorites. Read our blog post below to learn why eating with your family at breakfast can help maintain a healthy relationship.
Why is Breakfast the Most Important Meal of the Day?
As mentioned, a morning meal is the most important for a number of reasons.
In the morning, after you’ve gone without food for as long as 12 hours, your glycogen stores are low. Once all of the energy from your glycogen stores is used, your body begins to break down fatty acids to produce the energy it needs. Eating breakfast boosts our energy levels and restores our glycogen levels to keep our metabolism up for the day.
Additionally, breakfast contains many essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients we need. Depending on your meal, you are more likely to meet your recommended daily intake of vitamins and minerals than people who don’t eat in the morning.
Another benefit to eating breakfast is how it boosts brain function. Studies show that not having breakfast affects our mental performance, including affecting our attention, ability to concentrate, and overall memory. This can make some tasks feel harder than they normally are. This makes it especially beneficial for students needing a boost at school.
The Importance of Family Mealtime
Researchers have found that families who share meals on a regular basis reap many benefits, such as:
- Kids who eat with their families tend to eat a wider variety of food and become less picky eaters.
- Family mealtime promotes togetherness and helps build better relationships and strengthen their ties. This results in building a sense of belonging, which leads to better self-esteem.
- Mealtimes give parents a chance to be role models to their children by setting an example of healthy eating and polite table manners.
- Family mealtime also helps prevent obesity because people tend to eat less, eat slowly, and talk more.
What Can You Do to Ensure You Routinely Eat Breakfast Together?
For many people, being together for a meal can be lost amongst the busy schedules of school, work, and extracurricular activities. It’s easy for days and weeks to pass without ever meeting in the dining room to enjoy a meal together and just talk. However, this is important and should be a part of our daily routine.
Here are some tips to help you find the time to eat your meals together:
- Focusing on being together more than making an elaborate meal.
- Start small by increasing the number of family meals by eating one extra meal a week.
- As a family, plan out your meals for the week.
- Work as a family to clean up afterwards.
Chompie’s Offers Delicious Breakfast and Space for Families to Eat Together
Since 1979, Chompie’s has been the restaurant of choice for Arizonians looking for a New York Style food that serves items like bagels, mile-high sandwiches, salads, and colossal Ruebens. Additionally, we serve a variety of breakfast favorites that everyone in your family will enjoy. We are proud of our long history of service and look forward to creating experiences you won’t forget. Visit one of our locations today and see why we’ve become one of Arizona’s favorite delis to date.